United Nations Tribunal on International Law
The United Nations Tribunal on International Law or U.N.T.I.L. is an official branch of the United Nations in the world of Champions Online.
U.N.T.I.L. has served as the global police force since the 1960's, often dealing with alien threats, monsters, high-ranking supervillains, or ruthless terrorist organizations determined to rule the world (of course).
U.N.T.I.L. is considered the highest authority when it comes to superhuman matters. There is no authority higher. Even the members of the United Nations Security Council have in the past deferred to U.N.T.I.L. leadership when it comes to making crucial decisions, especially in the face of global catastrophe.
U.N.T.I.L. claims jurisdiction over land, sea, air, undersea, and near-space. In addition to their sizable global military might on loan from the member countries, they also have the orbital space station GATEWAY to monitor extra-terrestrial threats, and plans for three more stations.
At the head of U.N.T.I.L. is the Secretary-Marshall, who answers to and is appointed by the U.N. Secretary-General.
The second-highest position is the Director of Technical Corps. It is said that whomever holds that position is being groomed to be the next Secretary-Marshall.
Below that are the various divisions and subdivisions of U.N.T.I.L., some of which handle specific threats
- Project Snakecharmer - Deals with the terrorist organization known as VIPER led by Major Rashida Kwame
- Project Shiva - Deals specifically with the infamous villain Doctor Destroyer
- Project Hermes - Deals with mystical threats led by Major Violette Boudreau
- Project Clockwork - Deals with technological threats
- Project Carolingian - Responsible for the European super-villain group Eurostar
- Project Mind Game - Responsible for psionic-level threats
- Project Stargazer - Responsible for extra-terrestrial threats, led by Major Jason Clarke
- Project Newton - Deals specifically with the villain Gravitar
- Project Citadel - Responsible for multi-dimensional threats
- Project Mycroft - Deals with special research being led by Major Xavier Cross
- Office of Superhuman Resources (OSR) - catch-all superhuman oversight division
- Project Greenskin - a joint operation with PRIMUS to deal with radioactive threats, including those of Grond
Even though U.N.T.I.L. claims absolute governance, they often defer issues not covered by the various divisions to national, regional, and local governments and their respective agencies. This is especially true with the United States and their own national super-human division known as PRIMUS.
Critics of the organization are widespread, although a vast majority come from the United States through the various conservative and militia organizations.
One of the loudest critics is U.S. Senator Shelly Stickbutt, a well-known opponent of the United Nations and its all-encompassing scope of authority. She has made the campaign promise that she would be the one that would bury U.N.T.I.L., and she has sponsored numerous legislation revoking their charter, and has dragged U.N.T.I.L. members into committee hearings continually.
Another vocal source of criticism comes from Russia, where the "Pro-Motherland" movement also challenge the authority of U.N.T.I.L., especially regarding their program to eliminate of all existing nuclear weapons in the country.