A Ghost Group is in reference to an organization that is not supposed to exist.
Sometimes this is in reference to an established group that disbanded, but they still operate as a group. Other times, it is in reference to an organization that cannot be openly considered as one. These are often debunked as being "baseless conspiracies".
- Although it has been in existence for generations, the Midnight Squad is not supposed to officially exist, therefore it is considered one of the earliest in-game examples of a "Ghost Group".
- Both incarnations of Shadowborn are considered a "Ghost Group" even though the original incarnation operated with the blessing of the United States Government.
- Although their annual business meetings are far from clandestine, technically the Bilderburg Alliance is considered a "ghost group" since the history and scope of their power is supposed to be one of the oldest of such groups.
- Following their "disbanding", several members of the Guardians of the Dawn continue to operate as a "ghost group" until the group could be "offically" reinstated at the end of "The Guardian Powers" series.
- An organization created in the early years of Starfleet, Section 31 claims to operate to protect the best interests of the Federation.